Main content

Hawks want the best for Garlett

Chris Fagan on Dayle Garlett Hawks GM of Football Operations Chris Fagan speaks on Dayle Garlett.
Dayle Garlett is seen during the official Hawthorn Hawks 2014 team photo day at Ricoh Centre, Melbourne on January 20, 2014. (Photo:  Justine Walker/AFL Media)
Dayle Garlett is seen during the official Hawthorn Hawks 2014 team photo day at Ricoh Centre, Melbourne on January 20, 2014. (Photo: Justine Walker/AFL Media)

HAWTHORN football manager Chris Fagan hopes Dayle Garlett doesn't regret his decision to walk away from the AFL.

The unsettled Garlett quit the club on Monday morning after returning home to Perth last week to regain his driver's licence.

"He might [have regrets], but that's the reality I guess," Fagan said on Wednesday.

"But that's all learning for Dayle; he's got to look at the decisions that he makes and the consequences that there are for those decisions.

"Hopefully he will learn from the experience that he's just had and … we would love nothing more than to see him really pursue his football career down the track when he's ready and when he's mature enough."

Fagan and Hawks recruiting and list manager Graham Wright immediately flew west and unsuccessfully tried to persuade the prodigiously talented 20-year-old to continue his career.

Fagan said Luke Hodge was particularly disappointed by Garlett's decision.

"He got to build quite a bond with Dayle and had high hopes for him, so he's disappointed about it right now, it would be fair to say."

Garlett moved in with Hodge after he was selected by the Hawks with their second-round pick, No. 38 overall, in last year's NAB AFL draft.

The talented left-footer was overlooked by clubs the year before due to concerns over his lifestyle.

Fagan conceded recruiting Garlett was always risky, but said the Hawks don't regret the decision.

"We're actually really proud of the fact that we gave Dayle Garlett an opportunity," Fagan said.

"We think his talent was well worth it.

"If he can actually mature a little bit and redevelop that hunger to play AFL footy, and if it's at home in Perth I think that would really suit him, we’d be really pleased for him.

"Yesterday afternoon it became obvious to us that he's very unhappy playing AFL footy at the moment.

"He's finding it very stressful and he would prefer to stay in Perth with his family and his friends and pursue his football there."

Garlett tempted Hawthorn's recruiters after kicking 48 goals from 19 WAFL games for Swan Districts last season.

The Hawks were confident they could manage the former under-18s All Australian, but issues with the skilled forward intensified post-Christmas.

Garlett was warned over his use of social media and several times he was late and not in the expected condition for training.

Earlier this month, Garlett went to the club and admitted he was struggling with the demands of AFL football.

The Hawks subsequently removed him from selection availability, although he continued to train.

Hawthorn has now started the process of delisting Garlett so that he can play in the WAFL.

The Hawks initially wanted to place him on the long-term injury list, but were not allowed to because he isn't injured or ill.

Hawthorn is also unable to promote a rookie-listed player despite Garlett's delisting.

Fagan said the club and the AFL Players' Association would continue to support Garlett in future.