Hawthorn has dipped back into the top end of the national draft in recent years as it goes about building its next premiership team.
Across the last three years, the club has attained the likes of Seamus Mitchell, Josh Ward, Connor Macdonald, Cam Mackenzie, and Josh Weddle - all who look to have plenty of talent and upside as the Hawks eye a new era of dominance.
Some other draft highlights include names such as James Sicily, Blake Hardwick, Mitch Lewis, James Worpel, Dylan Moore, and Will Day, all establishing themselves as key pillars of the club.
From being taken with Pick 56 in the 2013 draft to becoming Hawthorn's captain, an All Australian and Peter Crimmins Medallist, Sicily is one of the biggest Hawthorn draft success stories in recent history.
The 28-year-old, who has played 134 games, was initially welcomed to the club as an exciting forward, but has since blossomed into one the league's premier defenders.
Fellow defender Blake Hardwick has carved out 147 games in the brown and gold, finishing in the top five of the club’s best and fairest in four out of eight seasons.
In just his second year at the club in 2019, Worpel (Pick 45) become just one of four players in club history to win the Peter Crimmins Medal at just 20 years of age.
Meanwhile, Lewis has become a mainstay in attack in recent years, booting 120 goals from 66 games, and has finished as the runner-up in the club’s goal-kicking tally the past two seasons.
Moore is another late pick success story having made a name for himself as a small forward, with the 24-year-old also elected as co-vice captain alongside Luke Breust this season.
Also just this year, Day produced a break-out season after moving from the defence into the midfield, leading to his inaugural club best and fairest.
Take a look back at how the national draft unfolded for Hawthorn every year since 2013.
- Billy Hartung (Pick 24) – 63 games across four seasons*
- Dayle Garlett (Pick 38) – did not debut*
- James Sicily (Pick 56) – 134 games across 10 seasons
- Daniel Howe (Pick 31) – 96 games across eight seasons*
- Teia Miles (Pick 49) – 12 games across five seasons*
- Marc Pittonet (Pick 50) – 7 games across five seasons*
- Ryan Burton (Pick 19) – 47 games across three seasons*
- Kieran Lovell (Pick 22) – 2 games across three seasons*
- Blake Hardwick (Pick 44) – 147 games across eight seasons
- Harry Morrison (Pick 74) – 91 games across seven seasons
- Mitch Lewis (Pick 76) – 66 games across seven seasons
- James Worpel (Pick 45) – 102 games across six seasons
- Dylan Moore (Pick 67) – 75 games across six seasons
- Jackson Ross (Pick 71) – did not debut*
- Jacob Koschitzke (Pick 52) – 48 games in five seasons*
- Matthew Walker (Pick 63) – did not debut*
- Will Day (Pick 13) – 54 games in four seasons
- Finn Maginness (Pick 29) – 32 games in four seasons
- Josh Morris (Pick 57) – 15 games in four seasons*
- Denver Grainger-Barras (Pick 6) – 28 games in three seasons
- Seamus Mitchell (Pick 29) – 14 games in three seasons
- Connor Downie (Pick 35) – 2 games in two seasons*
- Tyler Brockman (Pick 46) – 26 games in three seasons*
- Josh Ward (Pick 7) – 30 games in two seasons
- Sam Butler (Pick 23) – 17 games in two seasons
- Connor Macdonald (Pick 26) – 41 games in two seasons
- Jai Serong (Pick 53) – 2 games in two seasons
- Cam Mackenzie (Pick 7) – 14 games in one season
- Josh Weddle (Pick 18) – 17 games in one season
- Henry Hustwaite (Pick 37) – 2 games in one season
- Jack O’Sullivan (Pick 46) – yet to debut
- Bailey Macdonald (Pick 51) – 2 games in one season
*this player is no longer at the club